Monday, December 24, 2018

Our Brave Girl


Our worst nightmare came true last week, Kallie had an anaphylactic allergic reaction at school. Kallie's class was eating snack on the carpet when she started to get hives on her arm. I got a call from the nurse and we decided Benadryl would be the best course of action. Kallie has sensitive skin so hives do not worry me. Well unfortunately about 5 minutes later I received another call from school and what I heard next was the worst call of my life "We gave Kallie her epipen and called 911". I immediately started to panic and ran to my car. Thankfully Eric was already on his way because I was at work in Seattle. I drove 80 MPH in the carpool lane and got to school in record time. Thankfully the paramedics made it to school in 5 minutes and Kallie was ok. We drove to the ER where they gave her some meds and observed her for 3 hours to ensure her body would not have a secondary reaction after the epipen wore off.

We were back after a few hours emotionally exhausted and scared. About two hours later Kallie looked at me and said "mom, my throat is getting really tight and it is hard to swallow". Eric and I looked at each other in a panic. We decided to start with Benadryl but quickly moved to the epipen based on Kallie's panic. This was the very first time I had ever used it or even come close so I was in a bit of shock and panic but managed to get it done. Kallie was so brave counting down with the shot in her led while Eric called 911. This time she was transported to the ER via ambulance and monitored for 6 hours. When we left the hospital they assured us whatever it was that made her react was probably out of her system. Even with them saying that I had her sleep next to me in bed for two days just to be safe. I was up most of the night checking on her to make sure she was breathing and thanking God for taking care of our girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment